THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1317834
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL, 1,2 AND 3, VILLAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 16:59:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL, 1,2 AND 3, VILLAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
South Bucks (District Authority)
Parish:
Hedgerley
National Grid Reference:
SU 96941 87453

Details

SU 98 NE HEDGERLEY VILLAGE LANE

4/531 The Old Quaker House (formerly listed as 1, 2 23.9.55 and 3 Victoria Cottages) & Garden Wall

- II* C16, converted into one house. Timber-framed front, brick side; old tile roof. First floor oversails on beam with brackets spaced at intervals. Two storeys and attic. Central small barge-boarded gable rises from wall and breaks into roof. First floor with 4 restored or modern 3-light casements and a pair of small windows. Ground floor with 3 small windows, one restored 3-light and one 4-light window, a modern door and one tripartite window. Small one-storey wing at right angle on right hand. Timber frame with plaster nogging; old tile half-hipped roof. Lean-to on end. Interior: Ground floor room said to contain C17 panelling and carved overmantel. RCHM, p.193; VCH III, p.226. Garden Wall: C18. Red brick with flint panels.

Listing NGR: SU9694187453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
44127
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908), 226
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09556/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Bond. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].