CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1317879
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, POTTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:47:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, POTTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Tadlow
National Grid Reference:
TL 27997 47613

Details

TADLOW POTTON ROAD TL 24NE (North side) 7/76 Church of St Giles 22.11.67

II*

Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, and circa 1400 west tower. Restored c,1860 under supervision of W Butterfield. Fieldstone, clunch rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave, chancel and north vestry and south porch. West tower of three stages. West doorway in pointed arch with continuous moulding and square head having dagger tracery to the spandrels. West window of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch with label. Bell stage has two similar openings in four centred arch. Aisleless nave with south wall refenestrated, c14-C15, three windows of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in depressed arch. South doorway C13. Two centred arch of three moulded orders the outer two carried on nook shafts with restored capital and base. Chancel has two lancets, restored C19, in north and south walls and rebuilt east wall with three C19 graduated lancets. There are two C13 lancets in north wall of nave. Interior: West tower added on a corrected orientation. Two centred tower arch of two chamfered orders, the inner on engaged shaft with moulded capital and base. Deep splays to rear arches of C13 lancets in north wall. Roof rebuilt C19. Chancel has been remodelled internally in c.1860 and has polychrome tiles and painted boarded ceiling. Font by Butterfield. Grey marble octagonal bowl with panelled sides having raised gables in relief and intaglio quatrefoil of white marble. Broach stopped octagonal stem.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England p469

Listing NGR: TL2799747613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52794
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 469
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01734/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].