CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1317937
Date first listed:
02-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317937.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:37:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Cockerham
National Grid Reference:
SD 46256 51864

Details

SD 45 SE COCKERHAM

12/58 Church of St. Michael 2.5.1968

GV II*

Church, 1910 by Austin & Paley, with C16th west tower ('1589' said to be inscribed on beam from tower). Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar tower and slate roof. Comprises a west tower, a nave with clearstorey and a chancel under a continuous roof, north and south aisles, and south transept with vestry. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a stair turret on the south side, and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are each of 3 pointed lights under a Tudor-arched head with hood. The west window is similar. The west doorway has a round arch, hollow chamfered in 2 orders. The aisle and clearestory windows have flat heads and cusped lights. On the south side the aisle and clearstorey each have 4 2-light windows, the 2 western aisle windows being paired. On the north side there are 4 nave bays with similar windows. The western bay of the chancel is aisled and has a 3-light window. Its eastern bay has a 6-light mullioned and transomed window. The doorway, in the western nave bay, has a porch-like ashlar surround of shallow projection and is moulded with pointed head and hood. The east window, flanked by buttresses with offsets, has 4 cusped lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery and ogee quatrefoils. Interior has 5-bay nave arcades with pointed arches hollow-chamfered in 2 orders and piers with 8 sides, 4 concave on plan, and no capitals. The tower opening has plain reveals and a high pointed arch. Between nave and chancel there is no arch, but the piers are round. Above them attached shafts on corbels support the roof truss. The 2 bays of the chancel arcades have a round pier with capital on the north and a pier with 4 of its 8 sides ovolo-moulded to the south. The piscina and twin sedilia have depressed ogee heads. The roof trusses have braced tie beams, queen posts, and raking queen struts. Intermediate trusses have arch-braced collars. Wall tablets re-set from the previous church include one in the gothic style to James Clarke (d.1845) by F. Webster of Kendal, and the Creed and Lord's prayer in an elaborate gothic frame. The east window contains figures of the 4 evangelists dating from 1865.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182131
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14145/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Champness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].