GRAMMAR SCHOOL (FRONT RANGE ONLY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1317961
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
GRAMMAR SCHOOL (FRONT RANGE ONLY), RIBBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAMMAR SCHOOL (FRONT RANGE ONLY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:43:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAMMAR SCHOOL (FRONT RANGE ONLY), RIBBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Fylde (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirkham
National Grid Reference:
SD4154732037

Details

KIRKHAM RIBBY ROAD SD 43 SW 9/34 Grammar School (front range only) - - II

Grammar school and headmaster's house, 1909-11 by F.H. Greenaway of London. Rendered brickwork above a brick plinth, sandstone dressings and green slate roofs. A long, roughly symmetrical building in Free Style with C17 antecedents with a picturesque grouping of gables, bays and tall chimney stacks. 2 storeys. Headmaster's house on left has a central gable with a two-storey canted bay window to the left of the door. Central block is recessed, with gables at either end, a central porch which breaks forward slightly in line with a square clock cupola placed like a louvre on the roof. To the right the hall roof rises to full height and breaks forward at right angles, presenting a wide gable over a tall canted bay window with a battlemented top. To the right again is a single storey office block with a central gable. All windows have mullions and transomes. Detailing is simple, but openings are chamfered and the hall gable is coped. Interior: Hall of 6 bays, ceiled above the collar of archbraced roof. Simple panelling. Canted bay to south, 5-light window to north. History: The school was founded in the town in 1549 and moved to present site in 1911. The use of a London architect is explained by the School's connection with the Drapers' Company.

Listing NGR: SD4154732037

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183604
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02691/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].