TL 65 NW DULLINGHAM CHURCH LANE
6/81 Parish Church
19.8.59 of St Mary
Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 tower with late C15 buttresses,
mid C15 nave, south aisle and Lady Chapel, later C15 north aisle,
porch and clerestorey. Lady Chapel, roof restored in 1713 (dated
tie beam), used as a school and is now a vestry. The chancel north
wall two-light traceried window, low-side window and priest's door
were blocked in C18 when the Church was used as a memorial chapel to
the Jeaffreson family; the south porch was also demolished and doorway
blocked. Church restored in 1728, 1884-90, roof in 1899, tower 1928,
1939 and recently in 1977. Walls of flint and rubblestone originally
plastered, windows and doorways of clunch, some restored in Ketton
limestone, limestone plinth bands, buttresses, quoins and copings
to parapets. Flint flush work in north aisle. Roofs of lead and
plain tiles. North elevation. Tower of three stages with embattled
parapet, angle buttresses of four stages with east corner buttresses
blocking aisle windows. Clerestorey has four, two-cinquefoil-light
windows in four-centred arches. Gabled porch with two-centred moulded
arches to entrance and north door with defaced head stops, open
traceried windows in side walls. Chancel openings sealed, aisle
windows of three-cinquefoil-lights in four-centred arches. Interior.
Nave of four bays with arcades of moulded two-centred arches, and
piers quatrefoil in plan with hollow mouldings and moulded capitals.
Similar arches to Lady Chapel and chancel. Double piscina with
foiled drains in chancel, two C15 piscinae in each aisle and stoop
by north door. Chancel roof plastered; south aisle and Lady Chapel
roof with hollow chamfered and moulded principal rafters supported
on carved stone corbels with jack legs and arch braces. Nave roof
of four bays has foiled spandrels in arched braces to tie beams with
squat braced king posts, moulded cornice and stop-chamfered principal
rafters. North aisle pent roof with similar details, Font C15,
painted in C17 with shield of James I, clunch with foiled panels,
panelled pedestal and moulded plinth. Monuments to Jeaffreson family
(see Pevsner, p.332) of note, two by Westmacott. Four hatchments in
tower. Two brass indents in chapel. Memorial stained glass in east
window dated 1889 by Heaton, Butler and Barne, London. Pink marble
steps to altar, green marble pulpit, 1903.
VCH, Vol. VI, p.167.
Pevsner, Buildings of England, p. 332.
Gunnis, Dict. of British Sculptures, pp.350, 422.
Evelyn-Whyte, County Churches, Cambs, 1911.
Wm. Cole, MS, CRO.
RCHM (Cambs notes), 1953.
Listing NGR: TL6315657697