This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1318128



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burrough Green

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49123

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/29 CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE 19.8.59 Parish Church


Parish church C14, chancel C13. Originally with transepts and chapels flanking chancel; the intersection of south transept arch with an earlier chancel window indicates the two building periods. Tower C14 with later belfry windows and parapet. Porch C15. North and south aisles reroofed with cross gables in late Cl7 and refenestrated with large cast iron lattice windows in C19. Chancel and nave roof rebuilt in C17, chancel arch removed in C19 and two C18 urns placed on responds. Transepts and chapels demolished in C17 and openings blocked. Chancel east window modern, replaces earlier five-light window. Walls of flint and pebble rubble, plastered with dressings of clunch and Barnack limestone; interior details in clunch. Roofs of plain tiles. Red brick buttresses and wall repairs. West tower of three stages has clasping buttresses of three stages. Cross gabled aisles of three bays with small two-light windows above large inserted windows. Remaining walls of transept projects from south aisle. Interior: nave arcade of three bays with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases, and two-centred arches of two chamfered orders. Reduced chancel arch similar to nave. Flat plastered ceilings to nave and chancel. Double piscina with foiled drains and trefoiled arches. C14 sidelia. Three C14 wall tombs with ogee crocketed canopies, central tomb originally open to north chapel. Table tombs in north aisle, C14, with two recumbent figures. Octagonal font dated 1672. C15 glass reset in east window. Pine pews with raised and fielded panels. VCH, Vol. VI, p.146. Palmer, History of Burrough Green, p43, 1939 (Monuments p56). Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.309. RCHM (Cambs notes), 1951.

Listing NGR: TL6353255443

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, , History of Burrough Green, (1939)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 309
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 146

National Grid Reference: TL 63532 55443


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 01:05:03.

End of official listing