Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318255.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 17:54:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 68958 99261


TYLDESLEY MORLEY'S LANE SJ 69 NE (south side) 6/53 Morley's Hall 18/7/66 II* 2 houses. Largely C19 but incorporating some C16 and C17 timber-framing. Brick with slate and graduated stone slate roof. U-shaped range of various builds and dates. The front is of 4 bays with wings projecting to either side. Generally the left hand house is later; it uses Flemish bond brick and includes a symmetrically-fronted house with central door with fanlight and impost capitals, two 3-light transomed casement windows with flat brick arches and stone sills on each floor, and gable chimney stacks. The bay to its left includes an unusually wide cambered brick arch over a window. The right-hand house includes the earlier work. Generally it has a lower and steeper roof and is in English garden wall bond brick. Earlier stone walling at rear and in gable of wing. A door at the angle is flanked to left by a 3-light window (as above) with a cambered brick arch on each floor. Similar door and windows to wing. The rear, part of which is pebble-dashed, has various casement windows. Ridge chimney stacks. Interior: much of the timber- framing and floor beams with double-stepped stops remain. Posts in bay 4 rise to carry 2 heavily moulded-cambered tie-beam roof trusses one of which has a carved rosette on the underside. Both formerly had arch braces and formed a feature of a former open hall. The braces were removed when a floor was inserted. Moated site, formerly the home of the Tyldesleys, later a meeting place for recusants and in 1641 the home of Ambrose Barlow. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907. N.G. Philip, Views of Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire, 1893.

Listing NGR: SJ6895899261


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)
Philip, NG , Views of Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire, (1893)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/15303/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].