ELLERTON PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1318619
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
ELLERTON PRIORY, RICHMOND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELLERTON PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318619 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:22:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELLERTON PRIORY, RICHMOND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Ellerton Abbey
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SE 07952 97385

Details

ELLERTON ABBEY RICMOND ROAD SE 09 NE (north side off) 17/14 Ellerton Priory (Formerly listed as Ellerton Abbey (ruins)) 7.12.66 - II Priory church. C15 and perhaps earlier. Rubble with quoins. Narrow, aisle-less nave and choir, with west tower. North and east walls of nave and choir partially standing, to a height of approximately 1 metre on north, rising to 3 metres at east end. South wall missing except for west jamb of south door. West tower arch of 3 storeys, with stepped diagonal buttresses, stair turret on south side, plain tower arch to east. West side has 2-light window under hood-mould to first storey; mullioned and transomed window with C19 traceried head to third storey. Interior: on ground on north side of nave to east of centre next to wall 2 pieces of an elaborate grave slab, tapering in plan, probably of 1250-1300. It has, in relief, cross with interlaced diamond head and trefoil terminals, flanking leaf scrolls and marginal chamfer with running leaf band. To south, another tapering medieval grave stone, base broken off, has cross with diamond head with fleur-de-lys terminals. A small house of Cistercian nuns, founded in the reign of Henry II by Warner, steward of the Earls of Richmond. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SE0795297385

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321951
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02815/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].