METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1318641
Date first listed:
07-Jul-1989
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:31:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mere
National Grid Reference:
ST 81366 32498

Details

ST 8032-8132 MERE NORTH STREET (north side)

6/55 Methodist Church

II

Methodist Church. 1846, schoolroom 1874, interior modifications late C19. Rock-faced coursed and squared limestone, Welsh slate roof; schoolroom plain tile roof. Plain square chapel with gabled front to raised coping; schoolroom at lower level added at north end. Front is two storeys, 3 windows; ground flor has two small arched lights flanking central pair of plank doors under fanlight; first floor has 3 lofty arched lights, all windows with central bar, hori- zontals, and margin bars in concentric flush voussoirs and single set-back. Door is in recessed 'orders' with impost block. Over centre top window a small panel 'Methodist Church 1846'. Slight offset plinth, mid string, coped gable with frieze band; at two-front corners clasp buttresses with two offsets. Sides have two lofty arched lights similar to front. Schoolroom has central arched door flanked by arched lights, and in north gable end a large Venetian window, all these with leading. Interior: has panelled gallery on two very slender cast-iron columns, pitch-pine pews, elaborate central reading desk, pulpit left, organ right. A simple but unaltered chapel.

Listing NGR: ST8136632498

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320184
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/04615/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].