CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1318662
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH, BARBERRY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318662.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 15:09:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH, BARBERRY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chilmark
National Grid Reference:
ST 96990 32791

Details

ST 93 SE CHILMARK BARBERRY (north side)

1/72 Church of St. Margaret of Antioch

6.1.66



GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C18, restored 1856 by T.H. Wyatt. Limestone ashlar and dressed stones, tiled roof with stone slates to eaves. Plan: cruciform church with north aisle, south porch and north-east vestry, broach spire. Gabled rubble stone south porch has double-chamfered pointed doorway, coped verges. Nave to left has two 2-light square-headed C14 windows with ogee cusping, one to right of porch. South transept has diagonal buttresses, late C13 three-light pointed window of 3 lancet lights to south, single C14 window to east, coped verges with grotesque beasts on kneelers. Chancel has pointed priest's door and three C19 lancets to south side, corbel table with carved animals and faces, east end has angle buttresses. East end has 3- light pointed window with hoodmould with carved head terminals. 1844 vestry has cusped lancets and a shouldered chamfered doorway. 1856 polygonal stair turret in angle between chancel and north transept; cusped lancets and a trefoil. North aisle of 1856 has 4 geometric-style windows, reset west doorway of c1200 has round- arch with roll moulding on cushion capitals. West window is C19 four-light geometric-style with hoodmould and carved head terminals. Crossing tower has early C14 two-light pointed windows to offset bellstage, parapet and broach spire, rebuilt c1770 with string courses and moulded capping. Interior: Perpendicular inner door with hollow-chamfer and hoodmould with busts, C14 niche over. Nave has 5-bay roof with braced collar trusses on foliated corbels, flagstone floors. Four-bay north aisle has double-chamfered pointed arches on alternate cylindrical and octagonal piers, collar-rafter roof. Crossing has quadripartite rib vault with triple-chamfered arches on square chamfered piers. Transepts have 2-bay braced collar truss roofs. South transept has ogee piscina. Chancel has collar-rafter roof, north wall has three C13 lancets, now within vestry, 2 to left have roll-moulded sill, plain hollow-chamfered piscina on south wall. C13 font bowl reset on C19 base, in nave. Good C17 carved wooden pulpit at crossing. Wall tablets include a white marble in chancel to Thomas Harris, died 1825, large limestone and slate tablet on south wall of nave with ball finials on arched architrave and cornice over, to members of Jesse family from 1656 to 1702. Stained glass includes good east window glass of 1843, 2 windows by Heaton and Butler of 1860s; in north aisle to Ellen Tower and south transept to Mary King, and good unsigned glass of 1891 to Rev. Charles Tower. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide of 1975; Kell 's Directory, Wiltshire, 1867.)

Listing NGR: ST9699032791

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320298
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Robbins, P T , Church of St Margaret of St Antioch Church Guide, (1975)
'Kellys Directory' in Wiltshire, (1867)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09609/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].