LAWN LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1318781
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
LAWN LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAWN LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:36:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAWN LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Fonthill Gifford
National Grid Reference:
ST 92400 30165

Details

FONTHILL GIFFORD FONTHILL ABBEY WOOD ST 93 SW (south side)

1/88 Lawn Lodge

GV II

Lodge, to Fonthill Abbey, now detached house. Circa 1860, by William Burn for the Marquess of Westminster. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate roof, ashlar stacks. T-plan. Two-storey, one window to each gabled wing. Shouldered planked door with moulded architrave in porch with hipped roof in angle between two wings, 8- pane sash to side of porch, gabled wing to right has 12-pane sash in roll-moulded architrave to ground and first floor. Wing to left has 8-pane sash to side, canted bay with sashes to ground floor of gable end facing drive and 12-pane sash and Westminster crest over. Left return has slightly projecting stack and 8-pane sash, gabled wing has 12-pane sashes, roofs are gabled with coped verges and ball finials. To rear is 1970s two-storey extension in similar style and materials, reusing roll-moulded architraves and sashes. Interior has winding stone stairs with cast-iron balusters and handrail, 4-panelled doors in beaded architraves, large stone semi- circular archway between original build and extension, fireplace in extension reuses window architrave as surround. One of two lodges by Burn on driveways to Fonthill Abbey (1846 by Burn and demolished 1955).

Listing NGR: ST9240030165

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320877
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].