CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1318783
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HINDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318783.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:12:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HINDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Berwick St. Leonard
National Grid Reference:
ST 92378 33142

Details

BERWICK ST. LEONARD HINDON ROAD ST 93 SW (off north side)

1/1 Church of St. Leonard 6.1.66 GV II*

Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C14, rebuilt 1860. Flint and limestone, fishscale tiled roof. Plan: small nave and chancel with entrance below south tower. Chamfered pointed doorway on south side of 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, offset bellstage has one cusped lancet with pierced decorative louvres to each side, moulded square sundial over south window, moulded eaves cornice to pyramidal tiled roof. Nave has C19 two-light square- headed window to right of tower, several blocked openings. South side of chancel has C19 plain chamfered pointed doorway, 3-light C14 east window with intersecting tracery, coped verge with cross finial, north side has C19 two-light square-headed window. North side of nave has two C19 two-light square headed windows, blocked C12 round-arched doorway with tympanum and lintel with rosettes. West end has C14 three-light window with intersecting tracery, diagonal buttresses and coped verge with cross finial. Interior: Chamfered pointed inner doorway with C19 hoodmould, over is beaded circular tablet with relief-carved Agnus Dei, said to be C12. Three-bay C19 nave roof with arch-braced collar trusses. Small square piscina on north wall, C19 octagonal stone pulpit, C12 cylindrical stone font with brass cover, C19 pews, cavetto-moulded pointed niche on north wall. Plain chamfered chancel arch with chamfered square responds, chancel has C19 roof with 2 collar trusses and tesselated floor, large C19 ogee-headed piscina on south wall, east window with grissaille-style glass flanked by prayer boards. Fine baroque marble wall monument on north wall of nave to George Howe died 1647; broken segmental pediment with heraldic arms over, relief-carved demi-figures of George Howe and his wife Dorothy, with demi-figures of children in oval recess below, decorated with festoons and drapery. On south wall is slate panel with round-arched moulded surround to the five children of Sir George Grobham Howe, died between 1660 and 1662. The two bells are of 1725 and 1766. The rebuilding in 1860 was paid for by Alfred Morrison of Fonthill. The church was declared redundant in 1973 and is in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide)

Listing NGR: ST9237833142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320783
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Leonard Church Guide, (1981)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09609/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].