Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318792.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:00:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Donhead St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
ST 90672 24437



7/41 Church of St. Mary 6.1.66 GV I

Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C14, C15, C19 restoration. Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Plan: nave with aisles, chancel with side chapels, west tower and south porch. C14 gabled porch with diagonal buttresses and raked sides, Tudor-arched ovolo- moulded doorway, coped verge with cross finial to stone roof. South aisle has blocking course and 2-light C15 window with cusped lights and hoodmould either side of porch. Nave clerestory has five C13 lancets with hoodmoulds, coped verge with sanctus cross. South chapel has chamfered pointed priest's door and two 3-light C15 windows with cusped lights and hoodmoulds, blocking course with saddleback coping. Chancel has one 2-light C14 window to south and three C19 stepped lancets to east, diagonal buttresses and coped verge, large stone tablet to Jeremiah Bower died 1759 set against north wall. North chapel has 3-light Perpendicular window and tablet to Elizabeth Bower died 1791 on east wall, north side has two 2-light Perpendicular windows and blocking course. North aisle has central blocked hollow-chamfered doorway with hoodmould, 2- light C15 cusped window either side, blocking course. Nave clerestory has five C13 lancets. All chapel and aisle windows are square-headed. Three-stage west tower mostly C15 with angle buttresses and string courses, double chamfered pointed west doorway with 3-light Perpendicular windows with pierced wooden louvres and hoodmoulds, moulded string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet with eight crocketed pinnacles. Interior: porch has stone benches to sides, pointed barrel vaulted roof with ovolo-moulded stone ribs, cyma-moulded inner doorway with hoodmould and C19 double doors. Nave has 5-bay C19 wagon roof with moulded tie beams, polychrome tiled floor. Tall chamfered tower arch with hollow-moulded upper arch on C19 corbels, blocked lancet over, wooden newel stairs to belfry, late C19 Perpendicular-style screen filling arch. Clerestory windows have hollow-chamfered rere-arches. Fine late C12 three-bay south arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal abaci and cylindrical piers with multi-scalloped or stylised leaf capitals, blocked Tudor-arched west doorway in south aisle. North arcade of three double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with plain chamfered capitals and roll-moulded bases, aisles have restored late Medieval lean-to roofs with carved bosses and chamfered ribs. Wide double hollow- chamfered pointed chancel arch on octagonal responds with wind- blown leaf capitals, chancel has C13-style east windows with rer- arches on marble shafts and C19 wooden pointed barrel-vaulted roof, 2-bay chapel arcades with hollow-chamfered and roll-moulded piers and moulded arches, roll-moulded pointed transitional archways between chapels and aisles, C19 pitched roofs. Good 1880s glass in east windows, rest of glass probably by Kempe, 1860s. Restored Jacobean pulpit with carved panels, C12 black marble and stone drum font with arcading and carved 'woven' frieze, C19 pews. Pedestal piscina in south chapel with Dunston memorial glass of 1984. Good collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets including stone and slate tablet in south aisle to John Jeffries died 1711 with Composite pilasters to segmental pediment, several classical tablets by Osmond of Sarum such as to William Grove of Ferne died 1855 and to Charles Wyndham of Donhead Hall died 1846, large marble to Col. William Burlton died 1870 by Bedford of London. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9066824440


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07390/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].