SAILORS BETHEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1318881
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
HORATIO STREET, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318881.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:17:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
HORATIO STREET, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 26263 64188

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/01/2016

NZ 26 SE 12/316

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, HORATIO STREET (north side), Sailors Bethel

(Formerly listed as Premises occupied by Julius Benet Ltd. (former Seamen's Bethel))

G.V. II

Former seamen's nonconformist chapel. 1875 by Thomas Oliver. Sunday School room 1900 by Oliver, Leeson and Wood. Sandstone ashlar retaining wall at left; brick with ashlar dressings; roof of small thick dark slates; lead-covered flèche. Built on steep slope: main elevation to Horatio Street 2 storeys; rear to City Road one storey. 3 left bays; 3-bay chapel at right. Third, entrance, bay under gable has square-headed double door with nook shafts; HIS carved in shield above. Quatrefoil light over. 2 left bays under gable have tall sashes with trefoiled heads above retaining wall. Stone mullioned-and-transomed window over door. Cusped lancets to chapel, and tall 2-light east window in 3-sided apse with head-stopped drip-mould; gargoyles flank this window under gable. Steeply-pitched hipped roof to chapel with tall round central flèche on belfry. A prominent landmark above the Quayside.

Listing NGR: NZ2626364188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304635
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03605/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].