CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1318906

Date first listed: 14-May-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 14-May-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECULVER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 00:40:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECULVER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Canterbury (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TR 21224 68039

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



751/7/141 RECULVER LANE 14-MAY-75 HILLBOROUGH (South side) CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

II 1877-8 by Joseph Clarke. Choir vestry 1963.

MATERIALS: Knapped flint-faced with limestone dressings. Red clay tiled roof.

PLAN: Nave, chancel, SW porch, N vestry/organ chamber, S vestry.

EXTERIOR: The church is built in the style of 13th-century Early English architecture whence the single lancet windows that predominate in the fenestration, and the two-light Geometrical windows which light the E bay of the nave. The E wall has a pair of lancets with an uncusped circular window above them. The nave and chancel are placed under a continuous ridge: the chancel is slightly narrower than the nave. The S doorway is a 13th-century one reused from the ancient church at Reculver and has a multi-moulded arch and keeled nook-shafts with simple foliage capitals. At the W end there is a gabled bellcote with single bell. A slender buttress extends up the W wall to the level of the bellcote. On the N side the organ chamber/vestry is under a catslide roof. On the S a flat-roofed vestry was added in the 1960s and has a pair of three-light mullioned windows in its S wall. There is a small SW porch.

INTERIOR: The walls are plastered and whitened. A few stones from the ancient church of Reculver have been reused, for example at the junction of the nave and chancel. There is no arch between the nave and chancel, the distinction between the two marked by the slight narrowing of the chancel and a change in roof type. The nave has tie beams with crown posts, the chancel a seven-sided roof divided into square panels.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The plain octagonal medieval font is said to have come from the lost chapel of All saints in Thanet. The church is seated with pews with rounded shaped ends and has choir stalls with open frontals. Some 17th-century memorial slabs from the old church are set into the floor. The organ, by F H Browne of Canterbury, was installed in 1955 with a case designed by Caroe and Partners. There is stained glass in a number of windows dating from the early 20th century.

HISTORY: In one of the great tragedies of English architectural history the ancient, Saxon church at Reculver, much of it dating from the 7th-century, was mostly demolished in 1809 in the belief that it was at imminent risk from the encroaching sea (but shortly afterwards it was safeguarded by the addition of sea defences). It was replaced by a new building a mile further inland which incorporated stonework from the old church. The new church was consecrated on 13 April 1813. This in turn was replaced by the present, smaller structure in the 1870s (consecrated 12 June 1878) designed by the diocesan surveyor, Joseph Clarke (1819 or '20-1888). Clarke was a London-based architect whose practice was very largely concerned with church-building and restoration. He was diocesan surveyor to both Canterbury and Rochester and, from 1877, the newly-created diocese of St Albans. These posts helped bring in numerous commissions in these three dioceses but he also gained jobs over a much wider geographical area and examples of his work can be found in most parts of England. He was consultant architect to the Charity Commissioners.

SOURCES: John Newman, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, 1983, p 431. Harold Gough, The Parish of Reculver [guidebook], 1995. www.stmaryreculver.co.uk/page18.html. (Accessed June 2009)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Mary, Reculver is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is of special interest as a Gothic Revival church in the Early English style dating from the 1870s by a well-known church architect. * It retains some stonework brought from the largely demolished medieval church at Reculver and a medieval font resited from elsewhere.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 170745

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing