SIZERGH CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1318962
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
SIZERGH CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIZERGH CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318962 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 07:32:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
SIZERGH CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Helsington
National Grid Reference:
SD 49865 87884

Details

SD 48 NE HELSINGTON

3/13 21.11.52 Sizergh Castle

G.V. I

Castle. South Tower, probably C15, (previously thought to be C14 and the earliest building on the site) appears to have been added to earlier hall with crosswing which forms the basis of the North Tower. Original pre-C15 external entrance to Hall is at ground floor level on East side. Remains of wall under present verandah to East apparently date from alterations to enlarge the Hall carried out between Machell's record of the building in 1670 and an eyewitness account in 1770. Alterations to accommodate carriage entrance carried out during the C19. Subsidiary wings to the West mid C16 with later alterations including refenestration of North wing during C19. Limestone rubble walls, wings partially rendered. Pitched roofs slated, with decorative barge boards (probably C17) and stone ball finials, embattled roofs leaded: leadwork to South Tower turret dated 1749. Variety of stone chimney stacks to Hall, massive 3-stage stacks to West wings, embattled stone chimney stack to South Tower probably C16. Upper floor windows to west side of South Tower C15 mullioned and transomed, ground floor C19. East and West sides of main block mostly late C18 Gothick under hood moulds with labels; Venetian windows in East side of both North and South Towers; C16 mullioned and transomed windows in South West wing. A panel of uncertain date above 2nd floor window in West side of South Tower displays the arms of Deincourt quartering those of Strickland. The interior has vaulted undercrofts to the North and South Towers, that in the North being a later addition; mural staircase in South Tower; very fine panelled rooms from C16 and later with ornately carved overmantles and decorative ceilings; dated Jacobean glass from various sources. References: The National Trust Guidebook to Sizergh Henry Hornyold Strickland of Sizergh Kendal 1928 (Limited Edition) (p.258 quotes eyewitness account pre 1770) Jane M Ewbank (Ed) Antiquary on Horseback (from collections of Rev Thos Machell) C&W Extra series Vol.XIX Kendal 1963 pp.67/68 R.C.H.M. (For interior descriptions only)

Listing NGR: SD4986587884

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75286
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guidebook to Sizergh
Ewbank, J M , Antiquary on Horseback, (1963), 67/68
Hornyold, H, Strickland of Sizergh, (1928), 258
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 9 Cumbria,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15760/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].