This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1319285



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Quainton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42200

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/53 Church of St. Mary and the Holy Cross 21.12.67


Parish church. C14 nave, aisles and chancel; late C15 W. tower, clerestory, N. chapel and S. porch. N. aisle and S. porch rebuilt and remainder restored 1877. C19 N. vestry. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roofs to nave and chancel, lead roofs to aisles. W. tower of 3 stages has plinth, angle buttresses, restored battlemented parapet with carved figures to string below, and stair turret at S.W. corner. 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, restored and reused C14 traceried window and moulded door to west. 5-bay clerestory of 2-light cusped windows with Tudor hoodmoulds. Aisles have 3 bays of 3-light traceried windows with flat heads, originally late C15. E. window of S. aisle is restored 3-light Decorated window. Moulded doorways to N. and S., the S. door with stoup over stone with trefoil ornament. Moulded arch and battlemented parpet to S. porch. Perpendicular N. chapel with similar parapet, 2 bays of 3-light traceried windows and small moulded doorway. Decorated chancel has 3 bays of restored 3-light traceried windows and 5-light window to east. Interior: approximately 4-centred arch to tower. Nave has tall arcades of 5 bays with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, altered C15. Another arch to N. chapel. Remains of rood-loft stairs in N.E. pier. 2 piscinae in S. aisle, one in rectangular niche, the other in window jamb with 2 cusped ogee openings. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on semi- octagonal piers. C19 ogee piscina and triple sedilia. C19 roofs. Fittings: C15 octagonal font with traceried panels; part of low C15-C16 screen with 4 painted figures in cusped ogee panels, now at E. end of N. aisle; chest with linenfold panels and tablet dated 1775; C19 carved stone reredos, stained glass in E. window,and charity boards. Brasses in chancel to: Margery Verney and children 1509: John Spence, priest,1485; Elizabeth Chester 1593; Joan Plessi c.1350; Richard Iwardby 1510; and John Lewys, priest, 1422. Important series of fine wall monuments: In S. aisle: a) to Richard Brett, one of the 47 translators of the Bible, and wife Alice, 163?. Small carved and painted figures kneeling at desk in marble aedicule with segmental pediment; b) marble effigies of Richard Winwood and wife 1689, reclining on tomb chest with incised skeleton on front panel. Winwood has finely carved armour and elaborate wig. Wife in loose classical garb leans on her elbow to look over husband. Draped inscription tablet above. Signed Thos. Stayner. In N. aisle: c) to Sir Richard Piggott 1686, Thomas Pigott 1704, and wife Lettice 1735. Signed I. Leoni Archi. Of coloured marble with sarcophagus, relief of cherub heads and surround of Ionic columns, entablature and broken pediment. d) to Susanna and John Dormer of Lee Grange, 1672 and 1675, signed Wm.Stanton. Black and White marble with inscription tablets in moulded surrounds, the upper tablet with flanking portrait busts. In Tower: e) to Robert Dormer, J.P., wife and son, c.1730, attributed to Roubiliac. Imposing composition, finely carved, with son lying on a sarcophagus, father standing to left, and distraught mother kneeling to right. Classical surround. f) to Fleetwood Dormer and family, 1638 and later. Attributed to Grinling Gibbons but carving not of his quality. Awkward composition of urns, putti and obelisks with eagle finials and carved foliage. RCHM II p.240-243. Illustrations in Murray's Guide to Buckinghamshire.

Listing NGR: SP7499820155

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Buckinghamshire, (1948)
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 74999 20155


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:49:17.

End of official listing