THE OLD HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1319337

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE HOTEL, THAMES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319337 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 04:59:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE HOTEL, THAMES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 96740 77189

Details

1 THAMES STREET

5130 (West Side) The Old House Hotel SU 9677 SE 1/70 4.1.50. II* GV 2. Painted inscription dates building as being 1676 and records that Sir C Wren apparently lived here. The front appears to be early C18 with later C18 glazing bar sash windows. The main block is set back from street and is of brick on stuccoed plinth with centre break of 3 windows and bracketed cornice and pediment; the flanking bays, each of 2 windows have stone coping on offset shallow brick parapet. Hipped slate roof. Pediment over centre has lunette attic window. Glazed door in wood Tuscan porch of 2 engaged columns, entablature With triglyph frieze, enriched cornice and pediment - moulded stone bases to columns. 3 steps up. Paved forecourt and later C18 wrought iron rails with urn finialed standards to street. Late C18 wing to left hand: 3 storeys and ttic; 1st floor stone sill course, stone cornice and blocking course. Mansard slate roof with 2 dormers. 3 windows to upper floors, 2 on ground floor, glazing bar sashes, flat gauged arches. Door of 6 flush panels to right hand in doorcase of panelled pilasters with carved caps, entablature with dentil cornice and radiating and wreathed fanlight. The right hand return of this wing has open loggia approach to secondary entrance to main block. This wing appears to have been a separate house. The right hand wing is a circa 1800-20 extension, 3 storey part, next to main block, taller and of painted brick - parapet with coping; 2 windows, glazing bar sashes. Adjoining lower 3 storey part, has 3 windows, glazing bars intact to 2nd floor only. The farthest section of the wing is of one storey and basement and has 6 panel door flanked by engaged Doric columns in antis; window to right flanked by pilasters with cornice over. Interior of main block has open string staircase, pedimented doorways to hall - rooms with dado or full height panelling. Nos 49 to 51(consec) form a group with The Old House Hotel.

Listing NGR: SU9674077189

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40578

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing