VELHO CEMETERY OF THE SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE JEWISH CONGREGATION OF LONDON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1319658
Date first listed:
30-May-1974
Statutory Address:
VELHO CEMETERY OF THE SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE JEWISH CONGREGATION OF LONDON, MILE END ROAD E1

Map

Ordnance survey map of VELHO CEMETERY OF THE SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE JEWISH CONGREGATION OF LONDON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319658.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 17:09:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
VELHO CEMETERY OF THE SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE JEWISH CONGREGATION OF LONDON, MILE END ROAD E1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35729 82276

Details

MILE END ROAD E1 1. (West Side) 4431 TQ 3582 10/918 Velbo Cemetery of the Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Congretation of London II GV

2. Opened 1657. The oldest Jewish burial ground in England, opened a year after the Anglo-Jewish resettlement under Oliver Cromwell. Burials from 1657 to 1758 There are a few table tombs, including a group of 6 in the south west corner but most tombstones are laid flat. Earlier lettering in Portuguese, later ones in Hebrew and English. Stones mainly limestone, a few of marble, forming a paved area with very narrow grass margins between. Centre path. Burials include that of Abraham Fernandes Carvajal, the founder of the Anglo-Jewish Comniunity and those of 2 Chief Rabbis:- Nieto and Meldola. The disused cemetery was reopened for the burial of the latter in 1828 in order that he might be buried at the feet of Rabbi Nieto. Old brickwork in north wall. (Tablet in wall listed separately.)

The Jewish Cemeteries form a group between Mile End Road and Alderney Road

Listing NGR: TQ3572982276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
442420
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].