LEIGH COURT HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320671
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
LEIGH COURT HOSPITAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEIGH COURT HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320671.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:59:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEIGH COURT HOSPITAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Abbots Leigh
National Grid Reference:
ST 54316 74724

Details

ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH 4/11 Leigh Court Hospital

G.V. II*

Country house, now a hospital but to be vacated in 1983-84. 1814 by Thomas Hopper for Philip Miles of Bristol. Ashlar; hipped slate roof; ashlar stacks. In a severe Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, on a moulded plinth, cellars and attics. The south-east and north-west elevations are identical. 3:3:3 bays; the central 3 are slightly advanced with a detached portico of four giant, unfluted Ionic columns, plain entablature and pediment; glazing bar sash windows in plain reveals and central glazed doors. The north-east elevation is of 7 bays with the central bays recessed behind four giant Ionic columns in antis; French windows on ground floor, glazing bar sash windows on first floor, C20 fire escape to right; the outer bays have tripartite windows (the outer lights are blank) recessed in a segmental headed niche. To the south-west are attached service wings: 2 storeys; 9 bays of glazing bar sash windows; the south-west end is 2:1:2 bays with end Ionic pilasters, the central bay has a segmental headed window and doorway to a central passageway. The interior is highly elaborate with very fine quality Grecian-style plasterwork. Entrance hall: the square room has a central ring of eight marble Ionic columns which support a saucer dome; decorative anthemion friezes; stone and marble patterned floor. Staircase hall: long oblong room with two flights of cantilevered stone stairs which rise up either side and meet on the first floor; elaborate iron balustrades with brass inlaid handrail; galleries at first floor level with Ionic columns; coved and coffered ceiling with tinted glazing; decorative anthemion frieze, Vitruvian scroll to frieze below galleries; at the north-west end is an 1814 organ by Flight and Robson incorporating a barrel and 2 banks of pipes joined by a frieze, free Greek Revival details. Panelled doors throughout the building, all with brass door furniture. Staff dining room (morning room), in east corner: late C19 in an Adam/Wyatt style with an enriched plaster ceiling a frieze; fireplace with paired Corinthian columns. Patients sitting room (library): flat coffered ceilings with highly elaborate frieze and cornice. Tapestry (drawing) room, in north corner: highly elaborate ceiling with central round panel flanked by rectangular panels; elaborate gilded plasterwork and highly decorative architraves to doors and windows. Room on centre of north-west side has a fine geometrical pattern parquetry floor; decorative ceiling with a large circular centre and much anthemion; elaborate friezes and architraves; retains original square chandelier or gasolier of brass with etched glass. School room, in west corner, (dining room): rectangular ceiling with vine leaves and grapes; figure frieze; large plain marble fireplace with guilloche moulding, animal heads and claws to piers. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5431674724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33407
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/03192/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].