CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1320684
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320684.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:23:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winscombe and Sandford
National Grid Reference:
ST 41152 56653

Details

ST 45 NW WINSCOMBE CHURCH LANE 3/7 Winscombe 9.2.61 Church of St James

G.V. I Parish Church of St James the Great. Originally C.13 now C.15, restoration and Chancel of 1863, some C.20 restoration. A nearly complete perpendicular church, chancel rebuilt Early English. Coursed ashlar, some rubble, mainly in south aisle and chancel, freestone dressings: leaded roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, chancel, north and south chapels. 4 stage tower with set back buttresses connected across the diagonal and full height half-hexagon stair turret. First stage has heavily moulded pointed west door, string and restored west window. Second stage has part closed 2 light windows on moulded cills with lozenge stops. To west, one light has carved lily and vase on either side as crocketed niches, now empty, a residual Annunciation. To east one niche contains statue of St James. Third stage has 2-light blank windows. Buttresses become diagonal and slighter, then crocketed corner pinnacles. At fourth stage, three 2-light windows per side are divided by plain shafts which rise to subsidiary pinnacles. Outer lights blank, centred pair louvred. Quatrefoil pierced parapet. Stair turret rises higher, capped and crocketed at north-east corner. 2 storey north porch has 3-light cusped window under dripmould. Spiral stair in eastern polygonal turret leads to first floor (timbers being replaced 1983). North aisle and chapel have pierced parapet, quatrefoils in lozenges, which rises at each end as for pitched roof. South aisle and chapel have parapet pierced by trefoils in triangles. Rood stair in polygonal turret with panelled and crocketed pyramidal cap. Blocked west door. Plain chancel with 3-light lancet window. Interior: 5 bay arcaded nave, quatrefoil shafts with hollow waves, plain circular capitals apart from stiff leaf capitals at north of chancel arch and south of north chapel arch. Lierne vault to tower. Nave has victorian timber roof with mock hammerbeams with pairs of angels. Panelled timber roof to chapels and north aisle is original. South aisle retains angel corbels. Plain chancel of 1863. Glass: East window of north chapel has a good C.15 crucifixion group. (Restored 1850). Similar glass in chapel's north window includes made up figures as does a contemporary group in the easternmost window of the south aisle. Chancel north window given by Peter Carslegh and with the 3 St Peters is early C.16 with some Renaissance detail, putti and fleur-de-lys. South window has C.19 pictorial glass. Glass in the chancel east lancets of pre-Raphaelite appearance is by W G Saunder, dated 1863. Fittings: good, straight benches with traceried ends. C.13 font of heavy circular plinth and capital form in south aisle. Grand victorian two-tier brass chandelier in nave. Monuments: 1. Chancel south wall, plain tablet, M Taylor 1701. 2. South aisle, 2 tablets, weeping women on darker ground, 1791 and 1823. 3. Tower, 8 tablets, late C.18/C,19, draped urns on darker ground - several to Knollis family, Sources: Pevsner: BoE), North Somerset and Bristol. Woodforde: Stained glass in Somerset. Harrison: Victorian stained glass. Wright: Church Towers of Somerset.

Listing NGR: ST4114856654

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33275
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, M , Victorian Stained Glass, (1980)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Poyntz Wright, P, Church Towers of Somerset, (1981)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02766/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].