This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1320735



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Bath and North East Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Chelwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/8 Church of St. Leonard 21.9.60 G.V. II*

Parish church. Norman origin, C14, tower rebuilt 1772, largely restored and rebuilt c.1860 by G.J. Norton. Sandstone and limestone rubble, limestone dressings, tower of limestone ashlar on sandstone plinth, slate roofs (hipped on tower) with raised coped verges and cross finials to nave and chancel. West tower, nave, north porch, south aisle, chancel and south vestry. Mainly Decorated style. 2-stage tower has 2-light west window with pointed arch and hood mould, 2nd stage has paired trefoil-headed windows to north, south and west with roundel above and wooden bell-louvres; moulded string courses, gargoyle and water chute at each corner, parapet and coping, roof has small lucarne to each side and cockerel weathervane. 3-bay nave has to north two 2-light windows with trefoil heads, roundel, hood mould and relieving arch, central gabled porch with pointed arched opening, stone bench to each side, pointed arched inner door with chamfered and stopped surround, decorative strap hinges to door, trefoil-headed image niche above, common rafter and collar roof. Aisle has similar 2-light west window, three 2-light windows to south without roundel, weathered buttress to right, roof pitched at different angle from nave. Chancel has 3-light east window with 3 roundels and hood mould, to north 2-light window to right, weathered buttress to left, north vestry has similar 2-light east window, single light and pointed arched door to south, stack to south east. Interior: tall pointed tower arch, chamfered, 3-bay south arcade with cylindrical columns on plain plinths, C14 corbel east and west, vine leaves over a female head to east, fig leaves to west; nave has roof of common rafters, collars with lower braces, upper scissors trusses supporting purlin. South aisle has common rafter roof, one purlin, arched-brace with pierced wooden panel rising from south arcade, triangular arch to vestry, vestry has roof as in aisle. Chancel has arched-brace and collar roof, moulded collar purlin with one carved angel at west end, braces rising from wooden corbels on wall-plate; high pointed chamfered chancel arch, pointed arched opening to vestry, filled by organ, aumbry to north, elaborate carved stone and marble C19 reredos. Fittings: Norman font in nave, tiny volutes at edges and top frieze; late C19 pews, pulpit and screen across south aisle arch; stone hatchment in tower recording gifts to the parish by William Adams, 1815, by Reeves and Son of Bath; wooden board in tower from Incorporated Society for Church buildings. In chancel, marble tablet to Rev. Richard Whalley 1816, by Wood of Bristol. Monuments in tower: marble tablet to Mrs. Elizabeth Cottle, spinster of Nevis, West Indies, 1838, by H. Wood of Bristol; neo-Greek marble tablet to Rev. Richard Warner, 1834, by Reeves and Son of Bath; marble tablet to Mrs. Rebecca Warner, 1844, by Reeves of Bath; stone tablet with cherubs to Thomas Peterson, 1771; stone tablet to Richard Colter, 1744; stone tablet to Abraham James, 1754; slate tablet with gold-painted cherubs to Roger Lyde, 1760; marble monument with draped urn to Martha Adams, 1795, by Reeves and Son of Bath. Fragments of C16 Flemish glass in south aisle windows, with inscriptions in Old French, other windows lattice glazed. (Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6356361860

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 63563 61860


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 03:09:12.

End of official listing