OXWICK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1321124
Date first listed:
17-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
OXWICK FARMHOUSE, OXWICK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXWICK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321124.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 21:57:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
OXWICK FARMHOUSE, OXWICK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wickwar
National Grid Reference:
ST 72188 85905

Details

ST 78 NW YATE OXWICK LANE (north side)

4/248 Oxwick Farmhouse 17.9.52 G.V. II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1722, for John Oxwick. Coursed rubble with brick dressings, and string courses; C20 tiled roof; brick stacks. A curious blend of provincial baroque and gabled vernacular. 2 storeys and attics. 1:1:3:1:1 bays; outer 2 recessed,and inner 3 recessed between middle bays which are projecting stair towers; all surmounted by gables of unequal dimensions; clasping buttresses and quoins to the left. 4-pane sash windows with round heads on the ground floor and segmental heads on the upper floors. In the centre engaged brick pilasters rise through 2 storeys and support a stone pediment; between is a blocked door under a segmental head on the ground floor, and above are enriched arms under a segmental pediment and a bullseye window. C20 door under square head in right stairtower and original round headed door in left. Blocked semi-circular window in centre gable and stone tablets in stair tower gables. 3 storey bow window on west elevation and flanking single storey, 3 bay service wings setback to either side. Rear elevation: 3:2 (recessed and capped by an ashlar gable with a central niche): 3 bays. Oval inscribed date plaque in square surround over ground floor central window. Interior: turned baluster dog-leg staircases; plank doors with round and square heads; lugged ashlar fire surrounds on ground and first floor; cheese loft with racks and shelves.

Listing NGR: ST7218885905

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
34882
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].