OAKLEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1321524
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Statutory Address:
OAKLEY HOUSE, THE DRIVE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321524.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:04:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
OAKLEY HOUSE, THE DRIVE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Oakley
National Grid Reference:
TL 00460 53229

Details

OAKLEY THE DRIVE, CHURCH LANE TL 0053-0153 27/280 Oakley House 7.5.1952 - II*

Hunting box by Henry Holland c.1795. Coursed limestone rubble partly colourwashed. Slate roofs. Main block is five window bays long by two deep. Two storeys and attics. The roof is hipped with three hipped dormers to south elevation and two to both east and west elevations. South elevation first floor has five sash windows with glazing bars to first floor. Same to ground floor. West elevation has left hand ground floor bay with balcony and French window above and right hand sash to each floor. East elevation is similar but with continuous decorated balcony. Verandah to ground floor on west, south and east. The North entrance front has two 2 storey projecting wings which form a courtyard. To this elevation, the main block has two gabled dormers flanking pediment. In front of this is a two storey block with gabled slate roof. The first floor has three sash windows with glazing bars; the central one of three lights has a timber surround and cornice. Ground floor has two sashes flanking C19 entrance porch with lead canopy supported on four slender columns. The doorway is flanked by single light windows with geometric tracery. The two projecting wings are colourwashed with slate roofs. The interior has doorways in the hall imported from Fineshade Abbey. Grisaille painted panels over drawing room doors.

Listing NGR: TL0046053229

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37050
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].