Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321607.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:29:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bedford (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 04930 47363


TL 0447 ELSTOW CHURCH END 8/62 Hillersdon Mansion (formerly listed as nunnery gateway in ruins to south of church) 7.5.52 GV I

Remains of large house. Circa 1620-30, for Thomas Hillersdon, incorporating parts of C14 W and S ranges of cloisters of Benedictine Abbey (dissolved 1539). Partially dismantled in 1770's. Walls partly coursed rubble, partly red brick, with ashlar dressings. Porch faced with Totternhoe clunch. Originally linked to church. All that remains is parts of the E facade and the complete 3-bay N facade, with porch projecting from E facade. Walls (including porch) rise only to halfway up first floor. N elevation has 3 window openings per floor. E elevation recessed block retains 2 window openings per floor to L of porch, with one window opening per floor to S projecting block. Some windows retain moulded surrounds and mullions and transoms. Porch: ground floor has round-headed arch with archivolt and keystone. The carved spandrels are badly weathered, only LH one retaining cartouche and strapwork. Flanked by pairs of Roman Doric pilasters on pedestals (also with weathered carved panels) with niches between. These support entablature and remains of central pediment which breaks into first floor. First floor has central opening flanked by remains of paired Ionic pilasters, again on worn carved pedestals, with niches between. Above the central pediment and below the first floor opening was originally a cartouche bearing the shield of arms of Thomas Hillersdon, since lost. Scheduled ancient monument. (Bedfordshire County Record Office -various documents).

Listing NGR: TL0493047363


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03139/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Ward. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].