PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1321642
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SCHOOL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321642.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:46:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Husborne Crawley
National Grid Reference:
SP 95565 36227

Details

HUSBORNE CRAWLEY SCHOOL LANE SP 9536 10/31 Parish Church of 23.1.61 St James GV II*

Parish Church. C13, C14 and C15, substantially reworked 1911 (Kelly's Directory (Beds), 1914, p114). Coursed rubble, a mixture of greensand and ironstone. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel N vestry and organ chamber, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C14 origins, rebuilt 1911. 3-light pointed-arched E window. 2 2-light pointed arched windows flanking small doorway to S elevation. N vestry and organ chamber: also 1911, have square-headed mullioned windows and pointed-arched N door. Nave: C13, reworked C15, roof rebuilt 1911. C13 3-bay S arcade, C15 3-bay N arcade, all with pointed arches, N ones taller. C15 pointed lower arch. Chancel arch is 1911. Blocked doorways of rood loft staircase to SE angle. N. aisle: C15, reworked 1911, 2 3-light N windows with segmental heads flank a pointed-arched doorway. S aisle: C13 and C14, reworked 1911. 2 3-light windows similar to N aisle, flanking C14 pointed-arched doorway. C14 holy water stoup to E of door on external wall. S porch: 1911, gabled with pointed archway and square-headed 2-light windows. Porch, chancel and nave have stone coping to gables. Aisles and vestry have plain parapets. W tower: C15. 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses to W, octagonal stair turret to SE, and embattled parapet. Pointed-arched door in square surround surmounted by 3-light pointed-arched window. Bell-stage has paired 2-light pointed-arched windows to all sides. Interior: all roofs 1911. Plain medieval cylindrical font to nave. S aisle E wall has C14 niche with foliate spandrels. N aisle has chest tomb to John Thompson d.1597 and wife Dorothea, of alabaster and marble. Pair of effigies under studded canopy supported by 5 columns, with carved cartouches to base and canopy crest. S aisle has polychrome marble wall monuments to Robert Slingsby d.1634, Edmund Williamson d.1737 and Talbot Williamson d.1765, latter with urn and obelisk.



Listing NGR: SP9556536227

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38328
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire, (1914), 114

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14898/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].