CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1321686
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321686.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:33:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Potsgrove
National Grid Reference:
SP 95155 29851

Details

SP92NE POTSGROVE 4/71 23.2.61 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin GV II* Former Parish Church, now redundant. C14, heavily reworked by JD.Sedding 1880-81. Course rubble, mostly ironstone with some clunch. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel and nave with NW bell-turret. Chancel has 5-light depressed 2-centred-arched E window with panel tracery. N and S elevations each have 2 2-light pointed-arched windows with variety of tracery. Nave has 3 windows to S elevation, 2 to N elevation, all of 2-lights, pointed-arched, and with variety of tracery. Pointed-arched N doorway with carved heads of man and woman to dripstone stops. Pointed-arched S doorway, under gabled porch with pointed archway, again with carved heads to stops. Nave W elevation has 2-light pointed window surmounted by ogival-headed niche containing statue of Virgin and child. Octagonal ashlar bell-turret with stone spire rises from NW corner of nave roof. 2 tiers of openings to each side of turret, lower ones rectangular, upper ones with trefoiled heads. Spire has lucarnes to alternate sides and has cross finial. Interior: very plain, but retains C15 roof to nave. W nave window completely made up of fragments of medieval glass.

Listing NGR: SP9515529851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38173
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13487/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].