CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1321771
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321771.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:45:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clifton
National Grid Reference:
TL 16589 39249

Details

TL 1619 CLIFTON CHURCH STREET (West Side) 11/22

31.10.66 Church of All Saints II*

Parish church. Early C14, C15, reworked (including most tracery and dripstones) and enlarged 1862 by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. Coursed rubble, mostly ironstone, with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N chapel and vestry, nave, S porch, N aisle, W Lower. Chancel: C14. 5-light pointed-arched E window with net tracery. 2 2-light S windows, also pointed- arched, with low-side window below SW one. Pointed-arched S doorway. NE window now gives onto N chapel, and has squint below. Unusually broad chancel arch. N chapel: C15 origin, rebuilt C19. 3-light pointed E window. N vestry also late C19, with hipped roof. Nave: C14. 2-light SW window with square head. Pointed-arched 3-light SE window with tracery similar to chancel E window. C15 3-bay N arcade with pointed arches. S porch: C14. archway surmounted by niche wth later C19 figure. Small single lights to W and E elevations. N aisle: originally C15, rebuilt C19. 2-light window, 3 and 2- light N windows, 3 in all, all with pointed heads. Chancel, nave, aisle and chapel have stone coping to gables. W tower: C14, rebuilt C15. 3 stages, with embattled parapet. Octagonal stair turret to NE angle. 2-light window with 4-centred head to each side of bell-stage. Small 2-light window with flat head to middle stage of S elevation. 3-light W window with 3-centred head to lower stage. Interior: C19 roofs. C13 octagonal font with paired pointed arches to each face, on late C19 pedestal. C15 rood screen now in tower arch, retaining some original rather worn painted panels of saints. In N chapel alabaster altar-tomb to Sir Michael Fisher (d.1549) and his wife is surmounted by pair of recumbant effigies and has crocketed niches with angels holding shields to side panels, side panel now set into wall above. Retains traces of paint to shields. Brass to N chapel floor of 1528, to John Fisher (son of Michael) and wife.

Listing NGR: TL1658939249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37808
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07166/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].