HAYNES PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1321815
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
HAYNES PARK, CHURCH END, HAYNES, MK45 3BL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321815.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:11:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAYNES PARK, CHURCH END, HAYNES, MK45 3BL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Haynes
National Grid Reference:
TL 07989 41715

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/03/2016

TL04SE 1/78

HAYNES CHURCH END Haynes Park

(Formerly listed as Clarendon School, previously listed as Haynes School)

22.10.52 I Country house. Originally called Hawnes. Various building periods, incorporating and replacing earlier structures. W elevation c.1725 for Lord Carteret (Earl Granville from 1744, and prominent statesman), probably by Thomas Ripley of the Board of Works. S elevation c.1785-90 for Henry Thynne, Baron Carteret, probably by James Lewis. E elevation 1849-50 for Rev. Lord John Thynne, Canon and Sub-dean of Westminster, by Cubitts. W elevation is red brick with flared headers, with later white brick parapet. S and E elevations are white brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Square quadrangular building of 2 storeys and attics with C19 and C20 additions to N forming another courtyard. W elevation: 5-bay facade, articulated by brick pilasters, 4 to central bay, 2 each to outer bays, supporting rubbed brick moulded cornices. 2:3:3:3:2 sash windows with glazing bars under gauged brick segmental heads. Doorway to RH of central bay. S elevation: 3:7:3 sash windows, first floor ones with glazing bars, ground floor ones without glazing bars. Projecting outer bays have 2 storeyed bows. To centre of recessed block are 4 Portland stone Corinthian pilasters with paterae to surmounting entablature. Balustraded parapet with Carteret arms to centre. E elevation: 10 window range, all sashes. Off-centre Greek Doric portico with paired columns to centre. Double art-glazed doors in moulded surround. Balustraded parapet, similar to S front. N elevation: rather plain, parts obscured by C20 additions. Variety of ridge stacks. Interior: W wing contains c.1725 open well oak staircase with paired fluted Tuscan column balusters, Corinthian newels, foliate carving to open strings and parquetry quarter-landings. Retains also some wood panelling and fielded panel doors. S wing retains c.1790 decoration to entrance hall and corridor in Neo-Classical style. Hall decoration includes high relief plaster overdoors and oval plaster panels with female figures. Corridor, vaulted, with rounded half-domed ends, has plasterwork decoration incorporating vines, oak leaves and squirrels. E wing retains marble fireplaces with Ionic columns.

C. Hussey "Hawnes, Bedfordshire", Country Life, Dec 29th 1934, pp.692-697).

Listing NGR: TL0798941715

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37632
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 29 December, (1934), 692-697

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10522/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].