Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Station Road, East Garston


Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:01:53.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Station Road, East Garston

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
East Garston
National Grid Reference:
SU 36122 77068


SU 37NE 8/4




Church. C12 with C14 extensions and chancel rebuilt and extensive restoration 1876 by J.W. Hugall and E.C. Christian. Flint with Bath stone dressings and brick and Bath stone bands, chalk elements, slate roof. Cruciform plan with central tower, C14 North Chapel, south aisle and porch.

Tower: three stages with crenellated parapet and grotesque gargoyles, paired trefoil headed lights under square label mould to bell chamber above clock face.

South aisle: Crenellated parapet and moulded cornice, angle buttress and central buttress between square headed windows with two and three ogee headed lights.

South Porch: stonefaced to south with crenellated parapet and moulded cornice, simple semi-circular headed doorway with label mould.

South transept: Gable parapet, stone sundial set at angle in gable on corbel with carved head, above two-light window.

Chancel: Three two-light windows with trefoil heads under pointed arch with label mould, moulded cill string and corner buttress.

East window: geometric style, three large pointed lights below circular light under two centred arch and label mould with carved heads as corbels.

North Chapel: Gable parapet with moulded string and three carved heads, curious East window possibly inserted c.1684, three-light with much cusping and flowing tracery under deformed two centred arch with plain label mould, corner buttress. North elevation of nave has two-light and one-light windows with plain pointed arches.

Interior: Walls plastered and painted. Chancel; painted timber ceiling, occasional paintings of saints on walls. Tower: crossing arches rebuilt 1876. North Chapel: ornate cusped kingpost truss, painted reredos by Westlake, piscina in south wall surmounted by carved head and flanked by escutcheons. C18 marble memorials to Seymour family, two on south wall one on north wall, aedicule with curved broken pediment enclosing arms. Nave: Tree of Jesse painted by Westlake on east wall around tower arch. Three bay arcade rebuilt c.1876 to south aisle of simple two centred arches. Hexagonal carved C17 timber pulpit on C20 base and steps. South Aisle, C19 font set inside south door, holy water stoup in wall beside south door. South door has C12 semi-circular arch with square block and keeled roll ornament on columns with trumpet scallop caps.

Listing NGR: SU3612277068


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 131
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 05/02/2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].