MAIN BUILDING OF READING GENERAL STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1321892
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1976
Statutory Address:
MAIN BUILDING OF READING GENERAL STATION, STATION HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BUILDING OF READING GENERAL STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:39:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAIN BUILDING OF READING GENERAL STATION, STATION HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71487 73820

Details

STATION HILL 1. 5128 Main building of Reading General Station SU 7173 NE 1/363 SU 7173 12/363 21.1.76. II 2. 1865-67, architect Mr Lane (Chief Engineer of the GWR Co). Enlargement and remodelling of I K Brunel's original station of circa 1840. Italianate details. 2 storey symmetrical main building of buff brick from Coalbrookdale with Bath stone dressings, rusticated quoins. 10 bays wide, slight break to centre 4. Frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course, the projecting centre having console brackets to the cornice and the blocking course raised as solid pediment. The ground floor of the centre break has guilloche frieze and panelled pilasters with wreath caps flanking the windows and doorways. Cornices on console brackets over 1st floor windows, with triangular and segmental pediments over those in centre break. Canopy across ground floor. Hipped slate roof, chimneys removed. Pleasant central cupola, which has round headed lights and bracket eaves to pyramidal roof with finial. Canopy extends over ground floor extensions on both sides, about 12 bays to left and 7 to right.

Listing NGR: SU7148773820

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
39190
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03950/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].