Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321924.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 01:27:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 72033 72951


LONDON ROAD 1. 5128 (North Side) No 39 (Kendrick View) SU 7272 9/156 22.3.57. II GV 2. Mid-late C18. 3 storeys and basement. Plum coloured brick with painted brick dentil cornice. Parapet with painted stone coping. Old tile roof with coped verges and end chimneys. 6 ranges of glazing bar sashes, 1 panel 2nd floor and 2 on 1st floor. 6 panel door with radiating and wreathed fanlight over, in arched recess with panelled reveals. Doorcase:- engaged Doric columns, broken entablature and moulded open pediment. Moulded stone steps. Early C19 6 bay wooden patterned trellis arcaded verandah across ground floor. Single storey extension to left altered: red brick with grey brick string, deep parapet with 2 grey brick panels each with elliptical roundel, 1 window and 1 door. Contemporary rails with modern gate. Mary Russell Milford (1787-1855) lived here (a local authoress of renown) see wall tablet. 2 local astronomers, the Rev Richard Sheepshanks and his sister Ann also lived here. Interior: contemporary stair with curled rail at base.

Listing NGR: SU7203372951


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03925/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].