CONGRETIONAL CHURCH AND NUMBERS 89 AND 89A

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1321954
Date first listed:
14-Dec-1978
Statutory Address:
CONGRETIONAL CHURCH AND NUMBERS 89 AND 89A, 89 AND 89A, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONGRETIONAL CHURCH AND NUMBERS 89 AND 89A
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321954.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 17:49:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONGRETIONAL CHURCH AND NUMBERS 89 AND 89A, 89 AND 89A, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71401 73423

Details

BROAD STREET 1. 5128 (South Side) Congregational Church and Nos 89 and 89A SU 7173 SW 2/413 II 2. Included for its interior. Exterior from Broad Street (Nos 89 and 89A) is the annexe of 1892. 2 and 4 storeys. Red brick. 3 unequal bays with 3 windows, tower and 2 windows. Stone dressings, quoins and strings. Large archway under tower with moulded soffit and rustication, bolection upper part. Shaped pediment over with cartouche inscribed "Broad Street Independant Chapel" and dated on frieze below "1662, 1892, 1800". Modern ground floor shops flank tower. Tower capped by octagonal turret. The chapel itself is set well back in a courtyard at rear of annexe. Probably the 1800 rebuild with alterations - hipped slate roof 2 storey brick block with 3 arched windows. Interior a good example of a galleried non-conformist chapel in a prosperous market town although not as good as St Mary's Castle Street (qv). Roughly square with encircling galleries and an organ over the dais. Panelled galleries, late Victorian pews, angled under galleries, domed ceiling with modillion cornice. Central window of North Gallery has copy of Burne-Jone's "Light of the World".

Listing NGR: SU7139373437

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38777
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04113/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].