This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1322056



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477717

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2883SE PARK VILLAGE EAST 798-1/82/1281 (West side) 14/05/74 Nos.2-16, 22-34, 36A & B (Even) and attached railings


Street of 12 semi-detached and 4 detached, related villas. 1825-36. Designed and laid out by John Nash and his assistants. For the Commissioners of Woods, Forests and Land Revenues. Picturesque series of 2 and 3 storey stucco detached villas of varying styles. EXTERIOR: Nos 2 & 4: stucco with slate roofs and dormers. Pair in Tudor-Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics. Symmetrical facade of 3 windows flanked by projecting wings containing chimney breasts with polygonal stacks fronting the road and slit windows. No.2, stucco porch with trellis and pointed window with stained glass; No.4, trellis porch to part-glazed door. Square-headed windows with 2 pointed lights (No.2 with much stained glass) and hood moulds. Deeply projecting eaves. Gables with half-hipped roofs and finials. Right-hand return to No.2 with bay window rising through ground and 1st floor and to right a large bowed bay with cast-iron veranda and 3 square-headed windows with pointed lights to ground and 1st floor. Conical roof with dormer. No.4 garden front with octagonal tower having crenellated parapet and lead ogee roof with ball finial. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings, No.2 with wrought-iron candelabra lamp supported by 4 griffin type creatures at entrance. Nos 6 & 8: stucco with plain stucco bands at floor levels and central bays with stucco quoins. Transverse pitched and slated roofs with deep eaves and enriched slab chimney-stacks. Symmetrical pair in Italianate or Swiss style. 3 storeys 3 windows centre and 2 storey 1 window entrance wings, slightly recessed. Entrances on returns in wooden trellis porches. Square-headed casements; ground floor with cast-iron balconies, central 1st floor window blind. 2nd floor with blind arcade of 5 arches, the 2 outer ones pierced for windows. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials. Nos 10 & 12: stucco with low pitched hipped and slated roofs with bracketed eaves and eaves valances. Enriched chimney-stacks. Symmetrical pair in Regency style. 2 storeys and semi-basement, 2 windows centre and 1 window recessed entrance wings. Wooden trellis porches to panelled doors with sidelights and overlights. Tripartite sashes over. Central

block with tripartite sashes; 1st floor with lugs to sills. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas. No.14: detached villa. Stucco with slated pitched roof and deeply projecting, bracketed eaves. Tall rectangular chimney-stacks, set diagonally, on end walls. 2 storeys 3 windows with 2 storey 1 window extension to north and single storey 1 window gabled extension to south. Central stucco entrance portico with panelled double wooden doors, segmental-headed fanlight, entablature and blocking course. 4 centred arched casements to ground and upper floors. Single-storey later extension on left, two-storey extension on right. No.16: detached villa. Stucco with slated pitched roof having boxed out eaves. 2 storeys 3 window centre with 1 window recessed wing to north and single storey porch extension to south. Square-headed, architraved doorway with wooden panelled door, overlight and bracketed cornice over. Cornice and blocking course to extension. Central block with plain stucco 1st floor sill band. Architraved sashes to all floors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on low brick wall. Nos 22 & 24 (Sussex Cottage and Albany Cottage): pair of villas. Rusticated stucco with plain stucco 1st floor band and 1st floor window bays. Low pitched slated roof with deeply projecting bracketed eaves; gables on front and south elevations forming pediments. Centrally positioned large slab chimney-stack. 2 storeys 4 windows. No.22, side entrance in porch; No.24, front porch, both with panelled wooden doors and fanlights. Tripartite ground floor sashes. Names of cottages inscribed on 1st floor band. Architraved sashes to 1st floor. Front pediment with blind oculus in tympanum. Left-hand return with blind lunette in tympanum and tripartite 1st floor window. Nos 26 & 28 (Piercefield Cottage and Wyndcliff Cottage): stucco with low pitched, slated roof with deeply projecting bracketed eaves. Centrally positioned large slab chimney-stack, either side of which are flat roofed, slated penthouse additions. Pair in classic style. 2 storeys and attics. 2 window centre and single window projecting staircase wings. Entrances in pedimented porches on returns; panelled wooden doors and fanlights. Wings with round-headed, architraved windows (margin glazing) in shallow, round-arched architraved recesses (inscribed with names of cottages) with balustraded projections. Entablature at impost level continuing across the recessed front to form a shallow loggia with trellis piers. Tripartite sashes to ground and 1st floors. No.30: detached villa. Stucco. 2 storeys 3 windows.

Architraved, round-arched ground floor openings linked by moulded bands at impost level. Central doorway with wooden panelled door and radial fanlight. Sashes with margin glazing. 1st floor, architraved sashes. Cornice and blocking course. Prominent chimney-stacks on end walls. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials. Nos 32 & 34: stucco with pitched slated roofs with projecting eaves. Centrally positioned slab chimney-stack. Double fronted pair with gabled 4 window centre and recessed 1 window wings with entrances. 3 storey centre. Architraved doorways with bracketed cornices; fanlights and wooden panelled doors. Plain stucco 1st floor sill band. Architraved casements; 2nd floor, round-arched. Nos 36A & 36B: detached villa. Stucco with slated pitched roof and gables over 3 1st floor windows and 1st floor windows on right hand return. 2 storeys 4 windows. Octagonal, 3 storey wing overlooking garden. Asymmetrically placed entrance of panelled door with overlight. Ground floor windows, square-headed 4-pane sashes (left hand blind). To right, a chimney breast rising from ground floor. Plain stucco band at 1st floor level. 3 pointed arch 4-pane sashes under gables with scalloped wooden bargeboards and pointed finials. INTERIORS: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Park Village East and West (qv) were first sketched out by John Nash in 1823 as developments of small independent houses at the edge of Regent's Park. They had great influence on the development of the Victorian middle-class suburb. Both villages originally backed on to the Cumberland Basin arm of the Regent's Canal, constructed 1813-16 to service Cumberland Market; filled in 1942-3. East side of street demolished when the railway cutting was widened c1900-6. The original Nos 18 & 20 were demolished following damage in World War II. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: -1949: 156-8; Saunders A: Regent's Park: -1969; Tyack G: Sir James Pennethorne: -1993: 24-27).

Listing NGR: TQ2879383370

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Saunders, A , Regents Park, (1969)
Tyack, G, Sir James Pennethorne and the Making of Victorian London, (1992), 24-7
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 156-158

National Grid Reference: TQ 28793 83370


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2017 at 10:56:52.

End of official listing