CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1322445
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322445.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 14:58:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish:
Birchanger
National Grid Reference:
TL 50730 22781

Details

BIRCHANGER 1. 5222 TL 52 SW 25/87 21.2.67 Church of St Mary

II*

2. A small flint and stone building of early C12 origin with an early C13 chancel which is undivided externally from the nave. It was extensively restored in the C19 with an addition to the north side. The round west tower was destroyed in the C18 and there is now a modern bellcote. The nave has a west doorway of circa 1125 (reset) and there is a blocked south doorway of similar date. The tympanum and frieze in each doorway is decorated with saltire crosses. The arch of the south doorway is decorated with foliage scrolls. The chancel has 4 early C13 lancets. Fittings include a C15 font and 7 C15 benches (restored). The organ built by August Gern is the only unspoiled example of his work in the country. Graded for its architectural and historical value. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL5073022781

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
121495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04695/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Sue Kennedy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].