HAMSTERLEY BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1322775
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
HAMSTERLEY BAPTIST CHAPEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 11:28:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAMSTERLEY BAPTIST CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hamsterley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 11856 31080

Details

HAMSTERLEY HAMSTERLEY NY1131 23/64 Hamsterley Baptist 5.2.87 Chapel GV II* Baptish Chapel and Sunday School. Dated 1774 over door. Roughly-coursed and squared sandstone with quoins; and fourth bay coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings. Synthetic stone roof with stone gable coping and brick chimney. Round-headed keyed surround, the key dated 1774 and inscribed BETHEL in Hebrew, over 3-panel door with 2-pane fanlight in third bay. Keyed round heads to 2 large sashes with glazing bars at left; quoins to right of door. In fourth bay a large sash with fine glazing bars, flat stone lintel and sill. Gable coping on moulded kneeler over quoins; chimney at left.

Rear elevation shows door from Sunday School to graveyard; first-floor horizontal sliding sash,in Sunday School,with broad glazing bars.

Interior shows stair, opposite door, leading to left and right galleries, with moulded handrail on stick balusters and carved tread ends; later tongue-and- groove partition against left balustrade; wall at right of stair. Chapel rich in original features with side steps to panelled pulpit; pedimented panel as pulpit back between windows. Pews, with shaped ends and panelled backs, flanking space in front of pulpit, where original font is said to be in floor, and under gallery which has similar pews. Coat pegs along side and back of gallery. Panelled dado in entrance passage with small hinged flap to Chapel. Small panelled cupboard in front wall beside left gable.

Listing NGR: NZ1185631080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111866
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00960/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pat Maycroft. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].