CROWN COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1322878
Date first listed:
06-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CROWN COURT, OLD ELVET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 01:02:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CROWN COURT, OLD ELVET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27845 42203

Details

DURHW AND FRAMWELLGATE OLD ELVET NZ 2742 SE (South side) Crown Court (formerly 15/308 listed as Assize Courts 6/5/52 in Court Lane

GV II*

Crown Courts. Circa 1811 by George Moneypenny and Ignatius Bonomi; interior altered c.1870 bv W. Crozier. Sandstone ashlar; graduated Lakeland slate roof on main block, Welsh slate on wings. Centre block and flanking wings. Italianate style. 2-storey, 7-bay main block with pedimented projecting 3-bay centre, and end bays breaking forward. 4 giant engaged Tuscan columns define the centre. 3 part-glazed, studded 6-panel double doors in architraves in banded rusticated ground floor. Margined casements, cross in taller first floor, with upper lights altered, those in outer bays in 2-storey recesses. First-floor centre windows have wrought-iron guards. Top entablature and blocking course. Central chamfered square clock tower with deep cornice and leaded dome. Tall, single-storey, 3-bay wings with projecting banded centre bay forming voussoirs to tall carriage arches with lattice barred tympana above continuous stone impost bands. Small casements next to centre block, otherwise blank with parapet above eaves band. Very tall arcaded and deeply-corniced chimneys above inner bays. 4 steps to central entrance terrace with wrought- and cast-iron side rails and stone corner piers with lampholders.

Rear elevation shows tall bowed courtroom exterior with classical detail.

Listing NGR: NZ2784542203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110360
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03607/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].