DEVON COUNTY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1323701
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1998
Statutory Address:
DEVON COUNTY HALL, TOPSHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DEVON COUNTY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:39:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
DEVON COUNTY HALL, TOPSHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92958 91644

Details

SX 9291 EXETER, FORMER CB TOPSHAM ROAD St Leonards 871/15/10027 Devon County Hall

GV II*

County Hall: council chamber, associated suite, and local government offices. Designed 1955; built 1958-64. Designed by Donald McMorran. Buff brickwork, granite, low-pitched masonry slated roof. Courtyard plan with three to four storey building culminating in tower and council chamber, connected to the circa 1700 house "Bellair" (already listed). Varied treatment to elevations in McMorran's idiosyncratic classical manner. Some windows square headed, but in certain areas segmental headed for emphasis. Vaulted undercroft to entrance with segmental arches. Semi-circular arches to link with "Bellair". Tower has much blind brickwork above roof level topped by paired semi-circular headed bell louvres to each face with clock between, and bell above, on one face. A major civic work by McMorran, one of the most important architects to continue working in a sophisticated neo-classical idiom during the 1950s and 1960s. The building is of a very high quality throughout in terms of its materials, finishes, furnishings and craftsmanship, including the use of many local materials.



Listing NGR: SX9295891644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469226
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].