FOOTBRIDGE TO REAR OF NUMBERS 52 AND 54

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1323729
Date first listed:
27-Mar-1998
Statutory Address:
FOOTBRIDGE TO REAR OF NUMBERS 52 AND 54, THE GROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOOTBRIDGE TO REAR OF NUMBERS 52 AND 54
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323729.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 01:34:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOOTBRIDGE TO REAR OF NUMBERS 52 AND 54, THE GROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Havering (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 55486 85313

Details

TQ 58 NE THE GROVE, Upminster

940/13/10013 Footbridge to rear of Nos. 52 and 54

II

Footbridge and eyecatcher. Circa 1765, probably by James Paine who laid out the estate of Gaynes Park in the 1760s for Sir James Esdaile, Lord Mayor of London 1777-8. Red brick bonded with wide lime mortar joints with clear signs of an original rendered finish. Single span with round-headed arch, the whole approximately two metres high at its apex and three metres wide. Banded rustication to sides of opening and with splayed voussoirs above; central keystone on north missing. Tapering side sections, curving outwards either side of main opening. South side of plainer onstruction, its opening blocked with Fletton brick c1938. Groin-vaulted interior. Sources: T L Wilson "History and Topography of Upminster" (2nd ed. 1880), pp 138-9 and Peter Leach "James Paine" (1988) p212.



Listing NGR: TQ5548685313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469162
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, P, The Life and Work of James Paine, (1988), 212
Wilson, T L , History and Topography of Upminster, (1880), 138-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].