GREENHOUSE 60 METRES NORTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1323883
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
GREENHOUSE 60 METRES NORTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 16:31:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREENHOUSE 60 METRES NORTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Castleton
National Grid Reference:
ST 64855 16456

Details

CASTLETON SHERBORNE CASTLE ST 6416 Greenhouse 60 metres 12/28 north-west of Sherborne Castle 11.7.51 GV II*

Detached Greenhouse. Designs dated 1779 in Digby Estate Office. Ashlar stone wall (south front), rest of brick faced with stucco, and with ashlar quoins. Slate roof, hipped. One storey. South front is symmetrically designed in 5 bays. Five lofty round-headed windows, grouped one-three-one. Sashes with glazing-bars, radiating in the upper one. The end bays are projected slightly and are framed by Roman Doric pilasters with Neo-classical motifs in the entablature and pedimented over. These are also in centre bays, as linked ox-skulls, garlands and medallions. Two-leaf door on the east end wall. Interior is plain, apart from a moulded cornice. (RCHM Dorset I, p.69(5).

Listing NGR: ST6485516456

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
105568
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 69
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01594/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr RJ Whittick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].