PICKWELL MANOR INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND FEATURES AND RETAINING WALL WITH OUTBUILDING TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1325249

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1976

Statutory Address: PICKWELL MANOR INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND FEATURES AND RETAINING WALL WITH OUTBUILDING TO REAR

Map

Ordnance survey map of PICKWELL MANOR INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND FEATURES AND RETAINING WALL WITH OUTBUILDING TO REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:36:50.

Location

Statutory Address: PICKWELL MANOR INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND FEATURES AND RETAINING WALL WITH OUTBUILDING TO REAR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Georgeham

National Grid Reference: SS 45735 40914

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 44 SE GEORGEHAM PICKWELL

3/146 Pickwell Manor including front garden walls and features and 26.1.76 retaining wall with outbuilding to rear. - II

Large house. Some late medieval fabric to rear wing, otherwise house entirely rebuilt 1902-1905 for Sir Montague Style. Mostly rock-faced stone built to courses with dressed stone quoins and ashlar dressings to the openings. Slate roofs with coped gables. Stacks to each gable end of main range. Jacobethan style. Main range essentially L-shaped with the central gabled projection also extending some distance to rear. In each of the 2 angles of this rear extension is a large L- shaped range to left and to right, 2 shorter parallel ranges with gable ends. Main range 2 storeys, 5 window range. Outer gabled projections have 5-light cavetto mullion windows with dripstones and relieving arches on each floor, transomed to ground floor, but above the central light to left and 3 middle lights to right extend below, and are axially transomed at the sills of the outer lights. Central bay has gabled dormer with ball finials to the kneelers. Canted 2 storey bay window, cavetto mullioned, 3 lights with single side lights on each floor, the ground floor transomed with 4-centred arches; and with blind panel above. Central gable has keyed oculus, the outer gables have ventilation slits. Roofline recessed bays with shaped brackets to eaves soffit so that upper storey windows become canted flat-roofed dormers of 3-lights with single sidelights. Canted bay cavetto mullioned window below of 3 lights with sidelights. All principal windows have square leaded panes. To left side of left-hand bay is 4-centred arched doorway with stopped and chamfered surround. Main entrance to rear extension of central bay has large 3 light transomed window above large 4-centred arch doorway with hollow chamfered and stopped surround surmounted by scrolled brackets flanking blind stone panels with projecting dentilled lintel over datestones 1588 and 1904 appear on gable walls of the 2 projections to left of doorway and 1905 on rainwater head. In th rear angle of the L-shaped range to rear is a reset C15 pointed arch stone doorway with moulded and stopped surround. The front rubble garden walls on 3 sides with ashlar cappings, colonnade of square rubble piers, terrace wall and central circular pond walls in front form part of 1905 landscaped garden. Also to rear is 2 storeyed outbuilding built into the bank with flanking retaining rubble walls. Rubble with dressed stone to the openings with brick inner arches. Slate roof, probably built as a folly to resemble a chapel with reset pointed arched C15 door with moulded and stopped surround. Pointed arched window on end floor to right. Buttress on left side with offset. Interior of main range retains most of 1905 decorate scheme, with 5 tapestried wall coverings to the front principal room. C18 panelling to all 4 walls to first floor room in L-shaped wing to rear.

Listing NGR: SS4573540914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98400

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing