CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1325768
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325768.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 00:12:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
East Anstey
National Grid Reference:
SS 86730 26526

Details

EAST ANSTEY EAST ANSTEY SS 82 NE 2/9 Church of St. Michael - 20.2.67 GV II* Parish Church. C15 tower and south porch, otherwise rebuilt 1871 by Ashworth. Unrendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with gable ends. Plan: west tower, nave, chancel and south porch. Exterior: C15 west tower of 2 stages with embattled parapet, diagonal buttresses and north-east stair turret. Cusped headed 2-light bell-openings to each face with slate louvres. Perpendicular 3-light west window of 3 lights, the mullions replaced in C19 above pointed arched doorway witn double ogee moulded surround. Late Perpendicular straight-headed window of three 4-centred arched lights to left of C19 south porch with gabled slate roof. Chamfered surround to inner doorway. Otherwise C19 Perpendicular style fenestration, 3-light window to right of porch, 2-light to south side and 3-light to east end of chancel. North side of nave is blind. Interior: C18 pulpit with panelled sides to the drum and timber base. C18 communion rails with barley sugar balusters. C19 font, arch-braced roofs, chancel arch and tiled floors, nave furniture mid C20. Wall tablet by Kendall of Exeter to north wall of chancel with inscription to Rev. John Bond (d. 1807).

Listing NGR: SS8673026526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97361
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13493/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].