- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326263 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:09:40.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Allerdale (District Authority)
- National Park:
- LAKE DISTRICT
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 23178 28378
NY 22 NW BASSENTHWAITE
House. Probably late C17 with C18 alterations for the Gregg family; 1790 wings for Thomas Story and rear extensions of 1830 by Joseph Cantwell for John Spedding, with further extension of 1851 and 1883. Painted-roughcast walls, with angle pilasters and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth; quoined extensions. Graduated greenslate roof, with ashlar and yellow brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 7 bays with flanking 2-storey, single-bay wings; lower drawing-room extension to right and 2-storey, 3-bay servants' wing to left. Panelled and glazed double doors in tetrastyle Ionic porch. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves. Wings have 2-storey canted bays under hipped roofs, with 4-light sash windows, those lights in centre with rounded heads. Right extension has sash windows with glazing bars in eared architraves. Servants' wing has mixed fenestration, mostly with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Rear panelled door, sash windows with glazing bars and Venetian staircase window, all in stone surrounds. Interior is wholly late C18 and C19. Panelled doors throughout in panelled reveals, that into drawing-room extension under radial fanlight. Panelled shutters to most windows. Moulded plaster ceilings and cornices in ground-floor rooms. Given by the Earl of Derby to his agent Roger Gregg before 1688 and remained in that family and their kinsmen the Storys, until 1802, when it was left to the Speddings of Armathwaite Hall. Still the home of the Spedding family and open to the public. Of particular interest for its associations with Thomas Carlyle, Tennyson and other literary friends of James Spedding (1808-1881), who were frequent visitors to the house.
Listing NGR: NY2317828378
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing