LUNDY SOUTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING ENGINE HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1326625

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1991

Statutory Address: LUNDY SOUTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING ENGINE HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LUNDY SOUTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING ENGINE HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 03:56:01.

Location

Statutory Address: LUNDY SOUTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING ENGINE HOUSE AND ACCOMMODATION BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SS 14399 43665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS14SW 1938-0/2/3

LUNDY Lundy South Lighthouse including engine house and accommodation block.

II Lighthouse.1897 for Trinity House. Granite, rendered and blocked out. Flat roof behind parapets. Circular tower with single storey square engine room attached on southeast side and covered passage on northwest side leading to rectangular plan single storey accommodation block on higher ground level.

Exterior: Squat slight tapered round tower with small windows and large cornice with cast-iron balustrade and large lattice-glazed lantern with weathervane on top of cylindrical ventilator. Attached to the southeast side of the tower is the later single storey engine room. On the northwest side a covered passage ramps up to the accommodation block on higher ground level. The passage and accommodation block have stepped cornice and blocking course concealing flat roof. Sash windows with glazing bars and plank doors.

Interior: not inspected.

Note: The South and Lundy North Lighthouses (qv) were built when the Old Lighthouse (qv) was abandoned in 1897, because it was often obscured by fog, being so high above sea level. The 52ft tower stands only 175ft above sea level. Some of the equipment from the Old Lighthouse was dismantled and reused in the South Lighthouse, but it was all replaced in 1962.

(Lighthouses, Their Architecture, History and Archaeology: D.B. Hague and R. Christie; Lundy: A and M Langham).

Listing NGR: SS1439943665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91979

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975)
Langham, A, Langham, M, Lundy, (1970)

End of official listing