CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1326696
Date first listed:
27-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326696.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:16:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Hesket
National Grid Reference:
NY 47606 44452

Details

NY 44 SE HESKET HIGH HESKET

6/161 Church of St Mary 27.12.67 II*

Parish church. Early C18 incorporating parts of the medieval church. Roughcast over red and calciferous sandstone rubble walls, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers. Six-bay nave with west twin bellcote, north aisle and 2-storey west porch; single-bay chancel with north vestry and barn-like lean-to sheds. Porch has double doors in round-headed quoined surround under round-headed window. External dog-leg stone steps to upper-floor north side door. Nave has C18 round-headed leaded casement windows, the stone surrounds with hinge brackets for shutters. Aisle has similar round-headed windows. Chancel has blank walls and 3-light east window. Interior has C20 3-bay north aisle. Late medieval open timber roof. Late medieval chancel arch. White marble wall plaques to Bernard Kirkbride, 1677 and John Brown, 1765. Early C20 stained glass by Shrigley and Hunt, Lancaster. Chancel has Royal Arms of Queen Victoria, 1856. Brass and white marble wall plaques to James family of Barrock Park and Elizabeth Colomb, 1828 of Armathwaite Castle. Early C20 stained glass in east window.

Listing NGR: NY4760644452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73886
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07778/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Gill Andrew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].