HUTTON JOHN AND BARN ADJOINING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1326724
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
HUTTON JOHN AND BARN ADJOINING

Map

Ordnance survey map of HUTTON JOHN AND BARN ADJOINING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326724.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:07:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
HUTTON JOHN AND BARN ADJOINING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Hutton
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 43972 26953

Details

NY 42 NW HUTTON HUTTON

15/202 Hutton John and barn 19.1.55 adjoining

G.V. I

Fortified tower and wings with barn adjoining. Late C14 tower for the Hutton family with C16 and C17 additions; 1660, 1730, 1835 and 1867 alterations for the Hudleston family, the later alterations by George Ledwell Taylor. Tower has extremely thick walls of large blocks of dressed pink and calciferous sandstone, with string course under battlemented parapet and projecting spouts, on chamfered plinth; flat lead roof. Wings of mixed pink and calciferous sandstone rubble with string courses and flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and kneelers; banded red sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. Barn of similar rubble, under graduated greenslate roof. Rectangular tower of 2 storeys over vaulted basement with right 3-storey, 5-bay wing; the rear wing was 2 storeys, 4 bays, but altered to 3 storeys, 5 bays in C19; adjoining barn completes 3rd side of courtyard and possibly incorporates part of the C16 curtain wall. Tower has a number of medieval loops, some now internal, a blocked 2-light window and upper-floor sash windows with glazing bars in C18 stone surrounds. Projecting full-height signal turret, which probably had a beacon on top. Right wing has large off-centre 3-storey gabled porch/stair, with side Tudor-arched doorway, blocked 2-light windows under hoodmoulds, small heart-shaped windows and front C19 mullioned stair window. Facade has mixed fenestration on 3 levels of 3-light stone-mullioned windows, large mullioned-and-transomed windows and sash windows in stone surrounds. Right return wall has small heart-shaped windows and mullioned-and-transomed windows under gable inscription HOC SIGNO VINCES with cross and 1660 date. Rear 1867 entrance-hall extension and large C17 mullioned-and-transomed windows. The rear wing has C17 cross-mullioned and 3-light windows, others in C19 replica, those on ground-floor under hoodmoulds and under continuous hoods above. Rear has right blocked oval stair windows and C17 3-light stone-mullioned windows, those in the C18 right extension and on 2nd floor moved from their original position on the front. The barn is partly domestic with right plank door and sash windows with glazing bars in C18 stone surrounds, and left large cart entrance, loft doorway and irregular easement windows. Rear wall of barn is supposed to be the curtain wall, now with small C17 chamfered-surround windows, one 2-light window, all under small C19 grilled vents. Small wood gabled bellcote on roof. Interior of tower has original doorways, newel staircase and mural chambers. Upper rooms are C18. The right wing has extensive 1867 alterations with some panelled woodwork, staircases and heraldic plaster ceilings, all by G.L. Taylor, a relative of the family. One room with C18 replica plaster ceiling and woodwork by Gillow of Lancaster, 1872. Rear wing has C17 panelling and beamed ceilings. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xxiv, pp.161-179.

Listing NGR: NY4397226953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73931
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 24, (), 161-179

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].