Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1326777

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: COUNTESS'S PILLAR


Ordnance survey map of COUNTESS'S PILLAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:39:30.


Statutory Address: COUNTESS'S PILLAR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Brougham

National Grid Reference: NY5461628959


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/10 Countess's Pillar 6.2.68


Monument/sundial, scheduled A.M. Dated 1656 with C20 restoration. Dressed pink sandstone partly painted. Octagonal column on chamfered base with moulded cap and cuboid block under shaped finial. The block has sundials on 3 faces with metal gnomons and painted faces; the front with Clifford arms and the misleading date 1654. The rear sundial has an inscribed plate: THIS PILLAR WAS ERECTED ANNO 1656 BY YE HON'BLE ANNE COUNTESS DOWAGER OF PEMBROKE AND DAUGHTER AND SOLE HEIRE OF YE RT HONO'BLE GEORGE EARL OF CUMBERLAND AND FOR A MEMORIAL OF HER LAST PARTING IN THIS PLACE WITH HER GOOD AND PIOUS MOTHER YE RT HONO'BLE MARGARET COUNTESS DOWAGER OF CUMBERLAND YE 3RD OF APRIL 1616. IN MEMORY WHEREOF SHE ALSO LEFT AN ANNUITY OF FOUR POUNDS TO BE DISTRIBUTED TO YE POOR WITHIN THIS PARISH OF BROUGHAM EVERY 2ND DAY OF APRIL FOR EVER UPON YE STONE TABLE HERE HARD BY. Set on a flagged base with C20 railings around it. Nearby is the alms table listed separately. Restored at the cost of £3,000 by English Heritage in time for the distribution of alms on 2 April 1986. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.62.

Listing NGR: NY5461628959


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74213

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936)

End of official listing