SMARDALE HALL AND ADJOINING BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1326959

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: SMARDALE HALL AND ADJOINING BUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMARDALE HALL AND ADJOINING BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:37:10.

Location

Statutory Address: SMARDALE HALL AND ADJOINING BUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Waitby

National Grid Reference: NY 73920 08096

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 70 NW WAITBY

5/82 Smardale Hall and 6.2.68 adjoining buildings II*

Buildings date from C15/C16 centuries. Present Hall of coursed rubble has a tower at each corner, banded just below top. Graduated slate roof with stone chimneys; ball finials to conical tower roofs. 2 storeys, 6 bays. The majority of windows to both side elevations have 2, 3, or 4-lights in stucco surrounds; 2-light window in apex of south gable is only surviving example with stone mullion. All doors are C19/C20 insertions. Internally, large segmental arch to kitchen fireplace survives. Attached range of farm buildings once formed south range to Hall's original courtyard plan. Slobbered rubble walls with graduated slate roof. 2 storeys. Blocked doors and windows can be seen on both side elevations. Internally, the hay loft was once the Great Hall and some decorative plasterwork survives on the eastern wall. The relative thicknesses of their walls suggests that the south-east tower pre-dates the other 3 which may have been added for symmetry. A c1670 plan shows a C14 tower-house in the east wing; this was built by the Smerdales (ie pre 1388) and the rest of the house by the Warcops (ie pre 1580). See Carlisle record Office M.S. D/D&C/Machell III p.225. (From the 6 vols of notes towards a history of Cumberland & Westmorland by the Reverend Thomas Machell in the Dean & Chapter Library, Carlisle).

Listing NGR: NY7392008096

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73043

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Machell, T, 'A History of Cumberland and Westmorland' in A History of Cumberland and Westmorland, , Vol. 3, (), 225

End of official listing