This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1326996



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Asby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73248

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



15/9 Old Rectory (formerly listed as 6.2.68 Great Asby Rectory)


Private house (Rectory up to 1983). 2 storey 'U'-shaped plan under graduated slate roof with stepped stone chimneys and stone copings. North end C14, possibly a Solar rather than a tower-house. Squared, coursed rubble with quoins on massive plinth. Remains of earlier copings show roof was once more steeply pitched than at present. Single square-headed C17 mullioned 2-light window with hoodmould to ground floor on north and east sides (north has cavetto moulding); three similar 3-light windows under continuous hoodmould to 1st floor north are C19. Pointed window to 1st floor east is C14 with 2 trefoil-headed lights (quatrefoil between), mullion, transom, and hoodmould. Access to barrel- vaulted undercroft through dog-legged passage on south side (now within 1834 rear extension); both original doorways survive with pointed heads and chamfered surrounds (outer has hoodmould). In 1983 a C14 deeply-splayed slit window was discovered inside undercroft in middle of north wall; 1st floor has large late C17/early C18 stone fireplace with false 4-centred arch and moulded shelf. Main block of slobbered rubble, probably C17 (replacement of earlier building) with inserted C19 doorcase and 2 sashes on east side; square head of stair window on west side re-used C14 (with 2 ogee lights) from church. South block of snecked rubble added 1866; sashes to north and east walls, 2-light gothic revival window to 1st floor east. (All C19 sashes are without glazing bars and most have hoodmoulds). 1670 wooden lock presented to Rectory by Anne Countess of Pembroke (mentioned in R.C.H.M. & previous list) now (1983) kept in Parish Church.

Listing NGR: NY6804713154

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 68047 13154


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326996 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 10:37:23.

End of official listing