CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1327058
Date first listed:
27-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 01:02:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirkoswald
National Grid Reference:
NY 55514 40902

Details

NY 55520 40900 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD NY 54 SE

7/61 Church of St Oswald 27.12.67 G.V. II*

Church. Early C12 with late C12 additions, mid C13 and early C16 additions; renovations of 1847 and 1878. Large blocks of red sandstone rubble, green and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials; ashlar vestry chimney stack. Nave and chancel with north and south gabled aisles;/detached bell tower is listed separately North timber-framed gabled porch of c1523, has C19 stone infill, incorporating above entrance a reused early C17 stone inscribed ROBERT LOWTHION; porch seat is part of a C16 pew with carved poppy head end boards. Flanking pointed lancet windows, with 2-light mullioned Tudor window to left. North wall has 8 medieval grave slabs leaning and fixed to it. Nave has C19 west window with well down steps below with C20 inscription. Blocked south entrance with hollow chamfer and roll mouldings is probably C13; flanking Tudor mullioned windows, that to right of 3 lights is a C19 enlargement. Chancel has tall 3-light mullioned Tudor windows. Interior has 3 bay arcades of round arches with pointed west end arches on carved corbels. C13 chancel arch is on base of C12 arch; flanking niches for statues. Tudor 2-light clerestory windows. Panelled oak roof of 1847. Medieval bowl font and medieval cross fragment built into west window of north aisle. C20 side chapels in both aisles. Chancel has heraldic stained glass to various local families of 1846. Marble wall plaques to members of the Fetherstonhaugh family and fragment of plaque of 1609 to Thomas Brougham. Open timber roof is also C19. Alterations of c1523 were carried out at the expense of Thomas Lord Dacre when the nearby College of Vicars was formed by him.

Listing NGR: NY5551440902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73487
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].